Apr 18 2011

Moe’s Italian Sub Sandwich

Published by at 9:46 pm under Uncategorized

Moe'sSandwich

In New Hampshire we have a unique sandwich shop that serves just one type of sandwich; the Italian Sub. It  is delicious because it uses only fresh ingredients. My clients love this sandwich and always want to know how “good” or “bad” it is for them . This weekend when my husband went out to buy a sandwich I asked him to get one for me too- asking for a regular but with the olive oil on the side. I took the sandwich apart, and weighed each ingredient and then calculated the nutrition and calories. Here is what I found. A full sandwich ( with no olive oil)  contains 704 calories, 33.3 g fat, 15.7 g saturated fat, 80 mg cholesterol, 3177 mg sodium, 68.6 g carbohydrate, 5.8 g fiber, 13.4 g sugar , 32.2 g protein. Each tablespoon of oil will add an additional 124 calories for a total of 828 calories. Most of us do not need an 800 calorie sandwich at lunch, to reduce calories eat only half the sandwich, and choose an apple instead of chips on the side. If you want to reduce cholesterol and saturated fat order it with turkey or ham  instead of salami, skip the cheese, and ask for more vegetables.

PS- in case you are wondering I reassembled the sandwich, added a drizzle of oil and ate half the sandwich on Sunday, saving the other half for today while working on this blog- it was great!

11 responses so far

11 Responses to “Moe’s Italian Sub Sandwich”

1. Tobyon 25 May 2011 at 4:56 pm

Thanks for doing this…. there is a new store in Manchester, and I stopped in on impulse to have half a sandwich. The calories weren’t as bad as I feared, so no regrets!

2. eileenBon 02 Jun 2011 at 10:36 pm

Glad this was helpful.

3. Kevinon 15 Jul 2011 at 5:32 pm

This is why I love the internet.

Thank you!

4. terrion 29 Oct 2011 at 3:48 am

Thank you I love Moe’s but need to count calorie’s Thanks Terri

5. EVon 18 Jan 2012 at 2:22 pm

Thank you so much i recently moved to the East coast and i fell in LOVE with these subs thatnk you! So helpfull

6. Mirahon 15 Mar 2013 at 5:23 pm

What about a turkey sandwich w/pickles onions and mayonnaise

7. eileenBon 25 Mar 2013 at 9:25 pm

My guess is a turkey sub without cheese will be about 200 calories lower than the original moe’s sandwich. This will be a good excuse for me to buy a turkey Moe’s Sub and measure the ingredients. I am sure it will be lower in calories as turkey carries only 50 calories per ounce and cheese and salami about 100 calories per ounce. I will post the information after I try it.

8. Mikeon 04 Jan 2015 at 3:19 am

I have been enjoying Moe’s for over 40 years. Best Italian sandwich there is, no doubt about it. Had one last week from the Dover store and it was the best one yet.

9. Jason Lon 05 Jan 2015 at 3:29 am

How does a Moes, compare to a regular Italian and one from Subway?
    Just curious on which one of the 3 would be better!
    Thank you.

10. eileenBon 05 Jan 2015 at 1:46 pm

A 6” it Subway carries 450 calories 21 g fat and 47 g carb, A Quizno Italian ranges from 645 for a Small to 1200 for a large without dressing. If it were me I would get the Moe’s because it tastes so good. To keep calories in control I would skip the oil and eat only half, save the other half for dinner. Hope this helps.

11. Desireeon 04 Feb 2016 at 5:27 pm

Hi there!
    I saw you mention that you might try calcluating a Moe’s Turkey sub with cheese, olives and pickles (no oil or mayo). Just wondering if you had ever gotten around to it. :) It’s hard to find nutrition info for this stuff, and I just ate half a sub. I want to log accurately.
    Thanks for any info you may be able to provide!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS